Start with YOU!
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Every Therapist and Counsellor is inherently unique.
Even if you work with the same population, with the same orientation, in the same format, with the same education, even in the same office, nobody is exactly like you.
Who you are is the key differentiator for your business, and you need to know what sets you apart.
No one sees the world the exact way that you do. No one has the exact combination of lived experiences, skills and talents that you do – and that’s why there is no such thing as true competition.
You are the secret sauce!
That said, in a sea of other therapists, if you don’t understand what your unique qualities are, it can become harder for your ideal clients to find you. And believe me, your clients are already out there looking for what you have to offer.
Below you are going to explore what makes you, well… YOU! These insights will be vital to writing the copy on your website, it will inform your marketing and will help you discover your ideal client.
What makes you different, in your life and as a therapist? Here are a list of things to consider and explore in your journal or in the worksheets.
What is/are your:
- Specialties – current or ones you are working towards.
- Industry specific education and training – e.g.. MA / BA / Accredited institution in your field.
- Additional education and training – any previous education or training outside of your current field.
- Additional certifications – even if they have nothing to do with your current profession.
- Past work experience – the more random the better. Step outside your current field and consider what you’ve done in the past.
- Past training experience – if you know how to do it, write it down.
- Past volunteer experience – regardless of industry.
- Past lived experience – did you move a lot? struggled with an injury or illness? have 9 siblings? etc…
- Past travel experience – where do/did you go to get away?
- Hobbies / interests – what do you do for fun?
- Skills / Talents – anything weird or wonderful that you can do?
In your clinical work:
- What concerns/topics could you already work with easily?
- What concerns do you feel most comfortable working with?
- Do you have any personal experience with the struggles your clients may have? You may, or may not want to use that information in speaking with your clients.
- What is your personal view of healing and transformation?
- What are your personal core values?
- What is your purpose in life?
- What excites you about the work you do?
Services: What do you enjoy doing?
- Connecting with clients through face-to-face sessions | virtual sessions (phone or video chat) | a combination of the two?
- Having clinical sessions with individuals | couples | groups?
- Facilitating workshops or trainings for individuals | couples | groups?
- Connecting with others face-to-face | in writing | audio recordings | video recordings | live events?
- Networking with individuals | small groups | large groups?
- Spending time on the following social media platforms: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Pintrest | Periscope | other…?
Right now these answers are just for exploration purposes. Going forward you are going to pick and choose what you’ll be sharing from this information. Don’t hold yourself back from putting something down at this point.